St. Bernard Church follows the Diocese of Dallas Safe Environment Program. The program is designed to help and protect the youth, elderly and vulnerable adults of our parish as they participate in activiies within our community.
God entrust us with the sprititual, emotional, and physical welll being of minors and vulnerable adults. As they participate in activities within or sponsored by our Diocese, it is our responsibiity to provide an environment that is safe and nurturing.
The Safe Environment program has been adopted to:
1. Provide a safe and secure environment for the minors and vulnerable adults in
our faith community.
2. Reduce the possibiity of false accusations against clergy, employees and volunteers.
3. Provide a structure for evaluating a person's suitabiity to work with minors or
4. Provide a system to respond to the victim and his/her family as well as the accused.
All new volunteers must follow the steps to be able to volunteer:
1. You must complete the Safe Environement Screen Form on-line at www.cathdal.org
under the Safe Environement. This form requires three (3) reference.
The references must include complete address, phone numbers and e-mail
addresses. The references you provide should not be family members.
2. Attend a training session to view a video. It is recommneded that you complete
the screen form before attending the training session. PLEASE DO NOT BRING
YOUR CHILDREN DUE TO THE NATURE OF THE SUBJECT MATTER.
3. Your picture will be taken for your ID badge at the training session. You will receive
your ID badge after all necessary paperwork has been completed and you have been
clear of your background check. The Safety Officer will notify you when you can
no cost to you but if you lose your ID badge, there will be a $5.00 charge to replace it.
After completing the training session a clearing agency chosen by the Diocese will conduct a criminal background check. The clearing agency return the infornation to the Safe Environment Officer and it is kept strictly confidential.
Annual Update/Returning Volunteers
All cleared volunteers must complete an annual update session. This can be done by:
1. On-line to www.cathdal.org under Safe Environment.
2. Click on Update Training: Only need to view one
3. Follow instructions
4. Print off Comprehensive Test
5. Put your name of it
6. Return completed test to Safety Officer at St. Bernard
Please contact Ismael Martinez to assist you in taking the necessary steps.